Do you ever read something random and have a very personal reaction to it? Today I pulled into the parking lot at work and the car in front of me had a license plate that said 'LKYNLUV'. Completely unbidden, my mind supplied, 'Screw you, braggy bitch.'
No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?.
In other news, I didn't get to work until one o'clock today because this morning I noticed my tire was really low. I don't change tires. I just don't. Make fun if you like, it's still not happening. Becky and I have a long standing tradition of her looking at me with incredulity and saying, "You can't change a tire?" and I respond with, "So what, you can't do your own taxes." It's a priorities thing. And kind of a girl thing. There are boys who can change tires generally within easy distance, I don't need to know how to do it. I don't want to do it. So I don't.
Anyway, this really was not meant to be a rant about my lack of automotive skills. Back on track.
So, I decided that there was enough air in the tire to drive it the mile up the road to the tire shop, since I knew the tires were in pretty bad shape anyway. In the end, I bought two new tires and front brakes, spent ~$350, and watched the last half of a Jimmy Stewart/Audie Murphy movie and the first half of The Searchers while I waited. Gotta love old westerns. An older man who was waiting for his car, too, told me that Jimmy Stewart used to have it included in his contract for westerns that he'd get a certain amount of time to play his accordian during the film. I don't know if that's true or not, but he did play it in this one.
And I don't really want to be at work this afternoon. It's snowing. It's supposed to continue snowing for most of the week, I think. Off and on, of course, but enough that it'll make traffic a bear. Good thing I already have the milk, bread, and eggs at home. Everybody knows you can't get through a snowstorm without french toast fixins. Woohoo! White Death 2008 Part III: Tundra of Terror! (James and I like to make up bad horror film titles for each snowstorm in mocking tribute to the morons who flock to the grocery store like we won't be able to get out of the house for weeks. His favorite is White Death (pick a year) Part (pick a number): Arctic Armageddon, while I prefer Tundra of Terror. Seriously folks, ever heard of a snow plow? And this is Northern Virginia for Pete's sake, not North Dakota! We don't get a lot of snow.)
Also, my lateness to work means I missed out on the Project Control lunch at Famous Dave's. I'm irritated that I missed a free lunch, but beyond that I'm apathetic. I'd really rather be home in bed, or staring at my own computer. Or watching The Notebook, which I rented on seegrim's recommendation. Stop gasping, I know you've all seen it already.
In Caliga world, I'm excited about the Romy/Terence scene I have to post. Their relationship is unusual, to say the least. Romy's an odd girl. She keeps relationships very compartmentalized. I like her, and other people are starting to, too, which is kind of nice. Now that I have Miles, I really need to figure him out. He's not acting like I think he should. I suppose he'll take awhile to get to know. Susan... Yeah. I'd like to rent her a room in someone else's head for awhile. And one of these days I'll finish my Sam audition and get that turned in.
Happy birthday, Natasha! I'll do a pretty post from home, but I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten.
And woo! This is a busy, busy Caliga week. Romy's even got a scene without any sex! *gasp* I know, it is shocking.
Alright, I'm off! Happy Snow Day, everyone!
After driving home to get it and driving back to work, I realized I left my cell phone and my yogurt (breakfast) in the car.
Screw it. I'm not going to go get them.
I had an email from my mom waiting for me when I got in the office. My grandmother is still in the rehab facility/nursing home. At this point they are telling my mom that she probably shouldn't live alone - at least for the time being. They think she needs either an aide or to live in a nursing home full time. We'll see.
My brother Chris, who lives in FL, apparently has the flu. Hopefully he'll be recovered by the time I head down there because I like hanging out with him, but I'd rather not get sick.
It seems that my uncle is in Florida right now, too, staying at my late grandmother's place. So, maybe I can finagle a night or two over there if Grandma Brown's apartment gets too cramped. (Ok, so maybe I'd rather stay at the large waterfront house than in a retirement community one bedroom apartment with three other people. Sue me. I'm selfish.)
I need to email my friend Cynthia and let her know I'll be in town. Hmm. I ought to bring her some kind of gift, too. I never sent her a present when she got married last year.
I've found someone to take care of my mom's cat while I'm gone, so WOO for that! It's $18/day for the lady to come out and feed her (also get the mail, play with her, clean the litter box, etc...), but her vet wanted $38/day to board her in a little cage, so I figure I'm still getting a decent deal. For my entrepreneurial friends - dog walking and pet sitting is big business. A lady Becky knows from the Chamber of Commerce just bought out 5 dog walking businesses, and employs something like 50 people to handle all the work. People love their pets, and will spend boatloads of money to care for them - especially if you live in or near an area with a lot of white collar professional types. Personal concierge businesses are good, too.
It appears that Meredith is just getting the entire month of February off. No school today due to the snow. Never mind that the roads have been cleared and it's supposed to hit 45 today. Oh well, she'd probably be out sick anyway, at least this way she's not missing class.
James is sick, too. He just has a bad cold, though. Thank God I've got a good immune system. For realz.
I talked to my dad briefly today for the first time in several months. I didn't ask him for money. Yay me. You'd think he could call me once in awhile. I'm not that hard to track down, you know?
I need to pay my car note and the water bill. *nods* I'll do that today.
I suppose I should do some actual work now. Meh.
(In less than 72 hours I will be on my way to mynuet's. :D)
- I woke up to two inches of snow this morning. It gave me an excuse to be late to work. (Like I really need an excuse.)
- I miss FIA. I hope Lyndsie is finished soon, but I won't bug her about it because I know she is working as quickly as she can.
- I have been a TOTAL slacker today. I just stood in Susan's office chatting for the last 30 minutes or so. We were discussing infidelity, and it's awfulness. Cheating spouses suck, and should be subjected to torture. Real torture, not the wussy not-really-torture stuff people whine about at Guantanamo Bay. Fortunately, that has never been one of the problems in my marriage.
- I have just finished a chocolate muffin with chocolate chips inside. And I still have rice pudding in the fridge. Moo.
- I need to call the IRS. Blergh.
- I'm using my penis icon in honor of Lys, who has just been to see David.
That's all for now.
I will be so glad to finally reach the weekend. For the third time in the last two weeks, I was at work until 8:30 or later. There have been several other nights where I've been there until after 7:00. I get home at 8:00 or 9:00 or later, eat , and end up sitting in front of the computer until 12:30 or 1:00 because I can't go to sleep until I've had some time to unwind.
Most of the rest of this paragraph will probably make no sense to laymen, and will probably bore the heck out of everyone, but I feel like ranting, so feel free to skip ahead. Tomorrow is the end of our fiscal year, so we have all the close-out crap going on from that in addition to our regular work load. Most of for contracts I work on just had rate changes go into effect, so I had to open all new charge numbers for everyone who works on them. I had to do a program review with some of the higher level managers to explain a $78K reduction in fee on one of my projects. I had to make up this really inane training module that I was supposed to have completed by the end of December, but never got around to. It's annual review time, and I'm supposed to have my portion of the review turned in by COB tomorrow. I haven't started it yet. Fortunately, my boss is awesome and is fine with it being turned in a little late if necessary. And in the middle of all this, we moved from one office building to another. I really need to win the freakin' lottery.
My monitor started making a very high pitched whine a week or so ago. It's very annoying, and I may need to go to Best Buy and demand that they make it stop. Ves, I have already tried percussive maintenance.
It's very cold, and it's been flurrying off and on all day.
I downloaded quite a few songs from iTunes last night. I got some stuff by Babyshambles, The Libertines, Whtie Stripes, Kaiser Chefs, Gene Loves Jezebel, and Blind Melon. Pete Doherty may be a drug addled twit, but he can sing. Since I'm a goober, I got an immense amount of joy from the fact that, when Pete D. was with The Libertines, they did a song called 'What Katie Did', and now, with Babyshambles, he's made a song called 'What Katy Did Next'.
I think that's all for now. Soon I'm going to try to convince myself to motivate into the bedroom and go to sleep.
Yay snow. For now, anyway. Later, when I have to drive forty minutes to pick Meredith up, I will probably not be as joyous.
James just called me from the store. Predictably, we are actually out of milk at the exact time the hordes have descended onto the grocery store. Seriously folks, we live in VIRGINIA. The worst blizzard I can recall only had me stuck at home for three days. You will not starve in your home from a projected accumulation of less than one inch!
People are morons.
And I just felt like being colorful.
1. The virginal brides file past his tomb, strewn with time's dead flowers Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus
2. When I dream, I'm doing you all night, scratches all down my back to keep me right Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry
Right now he's probably dabbing on three dollars worth of that bathroom Polo Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
You were the first, you'll be the last The Flame - Cheap Trick
5. And Jesus ain't the latest thing to come across the wire So Help Me God - dc Talk
6. And nobody believes in this new religion, yeah nobody believes 'cause nobody sees, nobody sees Images of Heaven - Peter Godley
_____ don't get everything it's true, what it don't get I can't use Money - The Flying Lizards
8. Did I see you in a limousine, flinging out the fish and the unleavened The Fallen - Franz Ferdinand
Lately I've been on the road more than I've been home, all this leavin' her alone is killin' me Right Where I Need To Be - Gary Allan
10. Hey good lady, he's got God on his side, he's got a double tongue, you never think he would lie Step On - Happy Mondays
Outcasts and girls with ambition, that's what I want to see Stupid Girls - Pink
When the lights are dim and your hands are shaking as you're sliding off your dress Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off - Panic! at the Disco (Do they give anything a short title?)
13. I'll give you a four-leaf clover, take all the worry out of your mind Let My Love Open the Door - Pete Townsend
14. Big business is very wise, I'm crossing over into free enterprise This Is Not A Love Song - Public Image Ltd.
15. They got their surfboards, and they're going to the discotheque au go go Sheena is a Punk Rocker - The Ramones
16. They're a real cool bunch of die fledermausketeers Cool Kids - Screeching Weasel
17. It's not my fault I don't have those toys Boy - Book of Love
18. And the girl in the corner is everybody's mourner, she could kill you with a wink of her eye Ballroom Blitz - Sweet
19. Choking chicks and sodomy, the kinda shit you get on your TV Violent Pornography - System of a Down
20. I wanna know, wanna know what you were thinkin', I can't imagine why it didn't even sink in Gone - tobymac
21. I've seen your eyes as they fix on me, full of confusion, your snarl is just so condescending Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But... - Arctic Monkeys
22. So what's the point of robbery when nothing is worth taking Stand & Deliver - Adam & the Ants
23. I'll down a 40 dog in a single gulp, and if you got a beef you'll get beat to a pulp Brass Monkey - Beastie Boys
24. Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends, I found myself further and further from my home Against the Wind - Bob Seger
25. They know how to break all the girls like you, and they rob the souls of the girls like you Awful - Hole